Monday, August 11, 2014

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I was curious after seeing the movie and decided to read the book. I understand that there is controversy regarding this book as to whether or not it is respectful enough for the Holocaust. I understand the concern but I also feel that the author's intentions (very important) were sincere in that he wanted to explain the Holocaust in words young people could understand. I don't feel it is trivializing the Holocaust at all though there are a couple of historical inaccuracies in it that an expert on the subject discussed in an article about the book. It was touching and sad at the same time. I would recommend it to people ages 13+ considering the subject matter and a harrowing scene at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment